What's A Croft?

The Crocker families sprang from Devonshire in Southwest England. In England it is not uncommon to hear something named or referred to as a croft. We of the U.S.A. are not so familiar with the term. I have had questions about the name I call our little property, so I collected a list of definitions from the Web. I think they will clear up the mystery.

Definitions of croft from the Web:

A small piece or parcel of land.
A little meadow near a dwellinghouse.

A small farm worked by a crofter.
A crofter is one who has tenure and use of the land.
A croft is a fenced or enclosed area of land, usually small and arable with a crofter's dwelling thereon.
An enclosed plot of land, often adjacent to a dwelling house.
A piece of enclosed ground, generally adjacent to a house, used for tillage or pasture.


Here are a few random photographs from ours.









To learn more about the garden at Crocker Croft from the beginning, click here: History of the Garden.




_______________ NEXT PAGE _______________

_________ GARDEN JOURNAL INDEX __________

_______________ HOME PAGE _______________