Illusion of Leisure


Subtitle: Fine art is where you find it.

Fine art is outside my budget, even if the budget is stretched. I do not mind; I see art, much of it fine to my eyes, everywhere I look. In some of my photos, you may have seen a ghostly figure, a frame… the aluminum frame of an outdoor chaise lounge. It is a relic of my youth. There is a story about it.

My parents built their dream house in the middle of a cornfield next to that of my paternal grandparents’. It was approximately forty yards from our back door to theirs.

Every time I see the aluminum frame, in my mind’s eye, I see their charming small rambling white clapboard house in the shade of large trees, and my grandfather, his pretty, white hair blowing in the humid warm southern breeze as he slept during his after-lunch nap in that chaise lounge under the maple trees.

So, you see, that is why I cannot get rid of the old chaise lounge. Instead, I have proclaimed it to be my object of minimalist art – a minimalist sculpture.
I have titled it: ‘The Illusion of Leisure’.

For me it is an object to contemplate (why it has that strong emotional pull for me); it communicates in memories of times gone by; it is aesthetically pleasing: its long, tenuously extruded aluminum lines expressing surprising strength. Therefore, 'The Illusion of Leisure' is placed in my garden as one would place sculpture.

It is not unusual for there to be an illusion of leisure throughout gardens. Most gardens offer one or more resting places. The Garden At Crocker Croft is no different, beckoning are several places where one may sit and contemplate the buzzing bee, a sculptural fungus, a nodding flower, or shifting shadows. All the sitting places give the illusion of leisure. Of course, that illusion is a fallacy. You will notice that they are all empty. Still, the potential is there.

The Illusion of Leisure

Front Porch


Marble slab bench


and chair in the distance.

Several chairs scattered about the back yard.







in the shade garden

in the E Beds

Green chairs in the deep shade, and
Barbee's cushion on the ground.

Enlarge to see bench on The Terrace in the distance.

woodland garden

picnic table in woodland garden


The Terrace


stump at Lookout Point

and, a flat stone on a raised bed.




_______________ NEXT PAGE _______________

_________ GARDEN JOURNAL INDEX __________

_______________ HOME PAGE _______________